“So much can happen in those last few miles.“
It was a good day in Chicago for Des Linden: Not only did she run 2:27:35 to break the American Masters Marathon Record (previously held by Deena Kastor) by 12 seconds, she also had her puppy, Rivers, there for all the action. In this conversation — Des’s 10th appearance on the Ali on the Run Show! — the 2018 Boston Marathon champion and two-time Olympian recaps her weekend at the 2023 Chicago Marathon, including the highs (Rivers), the lows (marathon math), the stories from the elite athlete technical meeting, and, of course, some thoughts on the forthcoming Emily in Paris Season 4.
- Tracksmith: New customers, use code ALINEW for $15 off your first Tracksmith order over $75. Returning customers, use code ALIGIVE for free shipping, plus a portion of the proceeds from your order will be donated to Moms Demand Action.
- Vacation Races: Click here and use code ONTHERUN200 for $200 off any Global Adventures trip, or code ONTHERUN15 for 15% off any half marathon or ultra marathon registration.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Deep thoughts and hot takes on Emily in Paris Season 4 (2:40)
- All about Rivers (10:45)
- Des’s decision to go for the American masters marathon record (18:05)
- Des reflects on her training, and how she was feeling heading into the race (26:35)
- Chicago vs. NYC vs. Boston (30:45)
- All about the elite athlete technical meeting in Chicago (35:15)
- On Ryan’s role during marathon weekends (39:40)
- What race morning is like for Des (42:15)
- The race plan and pace plan (47:50)
- Des breaks down how the race went (51:00)
- Des talks about when the race started to get hard (1:00:05)
- Hindsight: what Des would’ve done differently at this year’s Chicago Marathon (1:06:25)
- What’s next for Des — on the trails, at the New York City Marathon, and beyond (1:14:00)
FOLLOW DES @des_linden
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
- Subscribe to the newsletter
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!