“From this day forward, I will say that I’m a runner.”
In 2004, I was a freshman at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. That’s when I met Scott Wormser. We bonded immediately over our shared loves for musicals, New York City, and chocolate lava cakes. We did fun things together, like hosting the annual Mr. Quinnipiac competition, helping plan the senior week festivities for our graduating class, and being orientation leaders for the incoming freshmen classes. We were always laughing, always having fun — and definitely not ever running.
Fast-forward to today, and here we are, nearly 20 years later: two marathoners. We still love musicals, NYC, and lava cakes, but these days, Scott and I are more likely to be talking about our next races or our favorite Peloton instructors. Scott got into running just a few years after I did, and has gone on to complete many half marathons and the 2016 New York City Marathon. For him, running isn’t about a pace or a place — it’s his me time, his release, his favorite way to sweat. In this conversation, Scott talks about how he became a runner, and why he still sometimes struggles to call himself one. Next up: He’ll be running the New York City Half this weekend on as an ambassador for Project Purple, an organization he holds close to his heart.
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Peachtree Road Race: Register TODAY for the world’s largest and most iconic 10K road race, taking place in Atlanta, GA, on July 4.
- UCAN: Click here to get a FREE Edge sample pack (you’ll just pay the cost of shipping), and use code ALI23 for 20% off your next UCAN order.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Why is today a good day? (3:00)
- Would College Scott be surprised to learn that Scott today is a runner? (5:45)
- What Scott was like growing up (10:25)
- On feeling like “all runners have this all figured out,” and on owning the “runner” title (15:40)
- Why Scott wanted to run a marathon (30:15)
- Why Scott runs for Project Purple, a pancreatic cancer community (39:50)
- All about Scott’s job(s) and home life (53:20)
Check out the playlist I made for Scott’s NYC Half this weekend!
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
- Subscribe to the newsletter
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!