“If you’re writing my obituary, whoever’s in charge, please include this! Because I feel very proud of it!”
You probably know her as the adorably sweet and oftentimes aloof Erin Hannon, from The Office. Or maybe you know her as the scrappy, can’t-keep-me-down titular character on The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. She played Becca on Bridesmaids, she co-hosts the Great American Baking Show, she’s a New York City-based mom of two — and now, Ellie Kemper is a marathoner.
In this conversation, Ellie talks about how she fell in love with running. She talks about her first race, and then her second, and about her spur-of-the-moment bit of motivation that got her to sign up for the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon. (Mid-race, Ellie said “never again.” Now? Don’t be surprised if you see her lining up for a second go at 26.2.) Ellie shares every detail from her training, her race, her biggest surprises from the day, and so much more. LOLs guaranteed.
- UCAN: Click here and use code ALI for 20% off your next UCAN order.
- Publix Atlanta Marathon Weekend: Register today for the marathon, half marathon, 5K, and youth races, taking place February 25–26, 2023. Use code ONTHERUN for 10% off your race registration!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Ellie is feeling two months post-marathon (3:00)
- Ellie’s “movie moment” from the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon (7:05)
- How Ellie became a runner (10:55)
- What’s next for Ellie on the run? And how did she train for a marathon with a busy schedule and two young kids? (18:50)
- Why Ellie decided to run the New York City Marathon, and what her training was like (21:30)
- On getting recognized on the run (32:00)
- What Ellie listens to on the run (42:00)
- How Ellie was feeling as training ramped up (50:15)
- All about New York City Marathon race morning (55:50)
- Ellie breaks down every detail from her race (1:05:00)
- Ellie’s advice for aspiring marathoners (1:23:45)
- All about Ellie’s senior thesis (1:28:40)
- What surprised Ellie most about marathon training (1:33:00)
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
- Subscribe to the newsletter
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!