“This year, it finally feels like, ‘I’m gonna rip it.’ The badass version of me is like, ‘You’re going to have to work really hard to beat me!’ That finally came back this year.”
This weekend, Steph Bruce will race her last marathon as a professional athlete. When Steph was diagnosed with a congenital heart condition last year, she decided to make some tough decisions. She decided 2022 would be her final year as a professional athlete. The HOKA NAZ Elite athlete plans to retire at the end of this year. But first: She’s racing the TCS New York City Marathon this weekend, and she’s taking us all along for the ride, calling this year her “Grit Finale.” In this conversation, Steph talks about how she’s feeling heading into her 17th marathon, both physically and emotionally. She talks about how training has gone, about her advice for athletes who are new to the sport, and life after NYCM.
- UCAN: Click here and use code ALI for 20% off your next UCAN order.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Steph’s feeling heading into the New York City Marathon (2:45)
- How Steph has navigated the emotional heaviness of the past few years, both on and off the race course (7:45)
- What Steph is proudest of (16:30)
- What Steph would say to all the pregnant pro runners right now (19:00)
- How Steph’s New York City Marathon training has gone (21:30)
- Steph’s New York City Marathon race plan (26:00)
- What Steph says runners should and should not do when running the New York City Marathon (28:45)
- What Steph pictures when she thinks about celebrating this race (37:40)
- Life after the New York City Marathon (38:30)
- What Steph wishes she had known at the early stages of her career (42:45)
For more, check out:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!