“I feel like nutrition is the new super shoe! If we’re fully carb loaded, if we’re fueling our race really strong, our performance can be astronomical, and better than we ever thought.”
Meghann Featherstun is on a mission: to get runners to eat more. More specifically: to get runners to eat more carbs! In this conversation, the sports dietitian and 2:50 marathoner talks about her passion for performance fueling. She talks about running a big personal best at the Chicago Marathon just a few weeks ago, and about what it has taken to shave more than an hour off her marathon time over the past decade. Meghann explains how she became a sports dietitian, talks about the most common concerns she hears about from her clients, and looks back on how she first became a marathoner (and why her “one and done” declaration, well…famous last words). Plus: how Meghann keeps running fun and joy-filled, and all about her obsession with graham crackers, bagels, and toast (oh my!).
- UCAN: Click here and use code ALI for 20% off your next UCAN order.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What’s the deal with the graham crackers and morning toast? (2:50)
- How was Meghann’s run today? (7:50)
- What is a sports dietitian? (9:50)
- On the trauma of 1990s diet culture (14:15)
- How Meghann found running (16:45)
- Why Meghann fell in love with the marathon (19:00)
- What are the common themes Meghann is hearing from her clients? (22:30)
- How do you know if you’re under-fueling? (26:00)
- Meghann’s Chicago Marathon fueling plan (30:45)
- What Meghann had to do to go from a 3:58 marathon to a 2:50 (41:35)
- How Meghann keeps running fun (51:15)
- Meghann’s goals for the New York City Marathon (52:40)
- Meghann’s tips for becoming a morning runner and for making running more joy-filled (56:15)
For more, check out:
Can confirm: There was Goose Island beer at the Chicago Marathon finish line!
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!