“I saw a lot of people, especially on social media, saying, ‘She’s not gonna make it.’ And in my mind, I wanted to prove them wrong. And I think, honestly, that might have been my biggest downfall — trying to do more too soon, to prove to people that I could do this.”
It would be putting it lightly to say that the past two years have been a whirlwind for professional runner Aliphine Tuliamuk. At the beginning of 2020, she won the U.S. Olympic Team Trials Marathon, earning herself a spot on Team USA for the Tokyo Olympics. Then, when the Olympics were postponed due to the pandemic, she and her partner, Tim, saw that as an opportunity: Instead of going to Japan and competing at the Olympics that summer, Aliphine was newly pregnant. She gave birth to a baby girl, Zoe, in January 2021. Then, with the Olympics just seven months away, new-mom Aliphine went all-in on marathon training (with a plus-one!). She traveled to Tokyo, lined up at the start of her first Olympic race, and had to pull out after 20K due to an injury. Today on the show, Aliphine talks about taking a much-needed break after Tokyo, and about how she knew — physically and emotionally — that she was ready to get back on the run. The Hoka NAZ Elite athlete is currently happy, healthy, and ready to light the fall racing scene on fire. (Her words!) This weekend, Aliphine will race the USATF 20K Championships, and then she will line up for her first marathon since Tokyo at the 2022 TCS New York City Marathon in November.
- UCAN: Click here and use code ALI for 20% off your next UCAN order.
- THE FIRSTENERGY AKRON MARATHON, HALF MARATHON, & TEAM RELAY: Click here to register, and use code ALI20 to get $20 off your race registration.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Aliphine is feeling, 70-ish days out from this year’s New York City Marathon, and what her training looks like right now (4:40)
- All about that photo from this year’s NYRR New York Mini 10K, and what Aliphine is like on starting lines (7:05)
- Aliphine’s fight to get to bring her daughter to the Olympics (16:55)
- Aliphine’s favorite — and least favorite — marathon training workouts (24:35)
- How Aliphine approached her post-Olympics break (29:15)
- How Aliphine follows the running industry (36:15)
- Aliphine’s goals for this year’s New York City Marathon (40:30)
- Aliphine shares her favorite parts of a marathon (47:00)
- Who is in Aliphine’s village? (50:50)
- Behind-the-scenes with the women of Hoka NAZ Elite (53:55)
- “How does 73 days feel to you?” (57:00)
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!