“This is the first time in so long that I’ve been lining up with teammates, and it makes it so much more special. There’s nothing better than having a teammate who, even if you’re not in the same heat, you’re warming up together. There’s less pressure because you’re doing it together.”
Allie Wilson and Yolanda Ngarambe are two of the fiercest middle-distance competitors in running right now. But off the track? The Atlanta Track Club Elite teammates are fun, silly, and as giggly as it gets. In this conversation, Allie and Yolanda share the story of how they first met (Allie was running late, Yolanda saved the day) and how their instant bond was formed. We recorded this conversation on Friday morning, June 24, when Allie and Yolanda were both in Eugene, OR, for USATF Outdoor National Championships. Allie had just competed in the 800m prelims the night before and was resting up before the semi-finals that night. (She ultimately advanced to the finals, where she finished fourth in a very exciting race.) And while Yolanda (the Swedish indoor mile record holder!) awaits word on whether she’ll get to represent Team Sweden at World Championships next month, she was in Eugene cheering for her teammates and managing the team’s social media accounts (her first time on the other side of the mixed zone!).
SPONSOR: Tracksmith. Click here and use code ALI22 to get free shipping. Plus, Tracksmith will donate 5% of your purchase proceeds to The Trevor Project.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What Allie and Yolanda are doing in Eugene (3:20)
- Allie and Yolanda introduce each other (5:00)
- What the Atlanta Track Club Elite team dynamic is like (10:00)
- How Allie and Yolanda met and became friends (15:25)
- What Yolanda has to do to make Team Sweden for the World Championships (25:00)
- The lowdown on Yolanda’s recent racing (26:00)
- All things USAs (38:00)
- What Yolanda and Allie are each like on race days (52:45)
- Yolanda and Allie shares the moments when they felt most proud of each other — and all about Allie’s viral finish line moment in May (1:01:10)
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!