“She’s my person.”
Silvana Morgan is a nurse, a runner, and a mom to two daughters. A few years ago, she was running a race when she saw a fellow runner up ahead wearing “a really cute outfit.” But when the course split — half marathoners to the left, other race distances to the right — Silvana, who is from Brazil and says she’s now living her dream with her family in New Hampshire, didn’t get a chance to meet that runner and tell her she liked her outfit. That runner, it turned out, was commercial truck driver, marathoner, and outdoor enthusiast Yuma Haidara. Later that day, Yuma posted about her race in New Hampshire’s She Runs This Town Facebook group. Silvana saw the post, recognized the woman in the photo as the woman from the race, and a friendship was born. The two — now best friends — have been inseparable ever since. This is their friendship story.
SPONSOR: Tracksmith. Click here and use code ALI22 to get free shipping. Plus, Tracksmith will donate 5% of your purchase proceeds to the Brave Like Gabe Foundation.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Yuma and Silvana met (4:20)
- What it was like when Yuma and Silvana met in person for the first time (7:40)
- On running and racing together, and Silvana’s tips for stroller running (10:25)
- How Silvana started running (12:45)
- How Yuma knew her friendship with Silvana was special (15:00)
- What Silvana’s childhood was like growing up in Brazil (16:30)
- All about Yuma’s 2021 New York City Marathon race — in a pair of Oofos sandals (19:20)
- Silvana’s road to becoming a nurse (27:30)
- What’s next on the run for Yuma and Silvana? (31:00)
- All about the Mount Washington Road Race — where “there’s only one hill” (39:30)
- How work is going for Yuma and Silvana (46:00)
- All about Yuma’s Oofos commercial! (48:50)
- All about Silvana and Yuma’s matching racing outfits (54:00)
- Pride (1:00:30)
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!