“I said, ‘You definitely have this win. Don’t be so scared anymore.’”
Last weekend, two-time Olympian Dominique Scott Efurd won the first-ever elite division at the Atlanta Women’s 5K. And while it may have been her first time breaking the tape this year, Dom’s 2022 is off to a solid start. In January, she finished third at the Houston Half Marathon. Then, she finished second at The TEN. And this weekend, she’ll race the Cooper River Bridge Run. In this conversation — Dom’s first time back on the show since late 2020 — Dom talks about her recent races, about the challenging start to 2021, which included a tibial stress reaction and a case of Covid, and about her experience representing Team South Africa at the Tokyo Olympics last summer. Dom is sponsored by adidas, and she lives in Boulder, CO, where she trains with Team Boss.
SPONSOR: The 2022 Bayshore Marathon. Go to BayshoreMarathon.org to sign up for this year’s marathon and 10K, taking place May 28th in Traverse City, MI.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How it felt to break the tape at the Atlanta Women’s 5K (5:30)
- On being the race starter at the Atlanta Women’s 5K (13:45)
- All about that 5K in Atlanta (16:00)
- How Dom is feeling heading into the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K (23:15)
- On finishing second at The TEN (24:30)
- Dom talks about the tough times she’s faced over the past two years (40:00)
- What Dom remembers most from the Tokyo Olympics, and recapping the Houston Half Marathon (47:00)
- Dom’s marathon dreams (1:04:40)
- All about the social media side of the sport (1:08:40)
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!