“These women are stone-cold killers on the track, so you’re just like, ‘I can’t believe you feel that way!’ But it’s really helpful for anyone who’s dealing with that to know, ‘Hey, these women had to overcome that.’ It was hurting their performance for a while and they had to figure out a way.”
Molly Huddle and Sara Slattery are incredible runners, incredible women, wonderful role models, and now, they can officially say they are published authors. Today, professional runner Molly Huddle and former pro Sara Slattery are here to talk all about their new book, How She Did It. Consider this book the ultimate roadmap for female distance runners. It includes advice from experts, plus stories, interviews, and profiles from 50 legendary women in the sport (many of whom you know, love, and have heard right here on the Ali on the Run Show). In this conversation, Molly and Sara talk about the inspiration for the book, how it actually came to be, and how they tackled the difficult task of which stories to include in the book. Plus, they talk about their friendship, Sara talks about being the head men’s and women’s cross-country coach at Grand Canyon University (she coaches one of Sara and Ryan Hall’s daughters!), and Molly offers a pregnancy update (she’s due at the end of April!).
SPONSOR: The WineShine Half Marathon — Register today for the inaugural event, happening July 16, 2022, and use code ONTHERUN15 to get $15 off your registration. See you in Napa!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Molly and Sara met (4:55)
- Where the idea for “How She Did It” came from (8:00)
- What adult runners can take from this book (12:30)
- The process of getting a book published (14:50)
- How Sara and Molly decided who to include in the book (18:50)
- How do you know when you’ve made it? (23:40)
- The stories Molly and Sara knew needed to be in the book (27:20)
- The biggest surprises from the book (36:20)
- What it’s like coaching Sara and Ryan Hall’s daughter (44:00)
- The personal reflections inspired by the book (46:45)
- On taking the mental side of training seriously (50:00)
- The women Molly and Sara are excited about right now (55:45)
- How do we not feel discouraged by doping in the sport? (58:30)
- Molly and Sara’s advice for longevity — and unlimited PRs — in the sport (1:02:40)
- Molly offers a pregnancy update (1:07:20)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!