“I think this time was a long time coming. I just had to believe in myself more than anything.”
The last time freelance journalist Emilia Benton was on the Ali on the Run Show, she talked about her longtime dream to qualify for the Boston Marathon. And she just kicked off 2022 by doing exactly that: running a nearly 16-minute personal best and earning a Boston qualifying time at the Houston Marathon. (Emilia’s official finish time: 3:30:14!) On this episode, Emilia talks all about how she made that 12-year dream come true in Houston. She talks about the game-changing decision to hire professional runner Nell Rojas as her coach, and about what working with Nell was like throughout her marathon build-up. (Read more about their experience working together in Women’s Running here.) Emilia talks about dealing with setbacks on the run, including a hip injury that sidelined her early in this training cycle, and about how she never stopped believing in herself along the way.
SPONSOR: Shokz — Visit shokz.com/ontherun for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Emilia’s feeling after racing the Houston Marathon (3:30)
- When the dream of Boston Qualifying first entered Emilia’s mind (4:30)
- Emilia’s plan to run the 2021 New York City Marathon, and her decision to hire coach Nell Rojas (6:45)
- Why Houston? (19:45)
- On running CIM as a workout, and other confidence-boosting experiences leading up to Houston (21:00)
- What it was like being at the Houston Marathon as a member of the media, an ambassador, and a race participant (23:00)
- How Emilia was feeling on race day (27:10)
- Emilia’s goals and plans for race day (33:00)
- On keeping it fun (42:30)
- When Emilia knew she was going to BQ (46:20)
- Emilia’s post-race thoughts (51:00)
- How Emilia shaved 16 minutes off her marathon PR (52:30)
Emilia Benton on Episode 340 of the Ali on the Run Show
Nell Rojas on Episode 434 of the Ali on the Run Show
Nell Rojas on Episode 431 of the Ali on the Run Show
Nell Rojas on Episode 229 of the Ali on the Run Show
Calum Neff on Episode 470 of the Ali on the Run Show
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!