“It was just so magical. Like holy smokes, I did it.”
Last weekend, Brittany Charboneau made Disney history by becoming the first person to ever win all four races in the Dopey Challenge. The North Face-sponsored professional runner ran four races in four days — a 5K, 10K, half marathon, and marathon — and broke the tape at each one. And she did so in carefully curated costumes that she hand-made herself, including Elsa from Frozen 2, Bing Bong and Joy from Inside Out, and Cruella de Vil from Cruella. On this episode, Brittany talks about why she wanted to complete the Dopey Challenge after a disappointing experience at last year’s Boston Marathon. She talks about getting Covid just a few weeks before the races, and about her inspiration for each race and each costume. Plus, the Colorado-based comedian talks about attending “Broadway Camp” in New York City, where she spent nine hours a day training in dance, acting, and singing — in addition to training for the Dopey Challenge.
SPONSOR: goodr. Click here and use code ONTHERUN15 for 15% off your entire goodr order!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Brittany’s feeling after completing the Dopey Challenge (5:30)
- Why Brittany wanted to run the Dopey Challenge (7:30)
- All about Brittany’s Dopey Challenge goals, and how she trained to run four races in four days (12:45)
- On getting Covid on Christmas Eve (20:15)
- On winning the Dopey Challenge 5K in 17:36, dressed as Elsa from Frozen 2 (22:00)
- On winning the Dopey Challenge 10K in 36:36, dressed as Bing Bong from Inside Out (30:15)
- On winning the Dopey Challenge half marathon in 1:19:18, dressed as Joy from Inside Out (36:00)
- On winning the Dopey Challenge marathon in 2:45:15, dressed as Cruella de Vil from 101 Cruella (48:30)
- All about those finish line cookies (1:05:45)
- What it was like getting a private tour of Walt Disney World (1:08:30)
- All about Broadway Camp in New York City (1:10:20)
- What’s next for Brittany (1:15:20)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!