“That is how I always race — I’ve always got a smile on my face.”
Dakotah Lindwurm runs happy. If you saw her leading the 2021 Boston Marathon — where she ultimately finished as the third American woman — you saw that smile on full display, from start to finish. And that smile just got a lot bigger, as Dakotah kicks off the new year with her first professional contract. Last week, Dakotah announced that she has officially signed with Puma, and that she will continue training with Minnesota Distance Elite. On this episode, the 2:29 marathoner (and former hockey goalie!) talks about her stellar past year on the run, which included two half-marathon personal bests and a win at Grandma’s Marathon, where she also ran a personal best. She talks about being pegged as an underdog, and why she loves it, and about her goals for this weekend’s Houston Half Marathon.
SPONSOR: Shokz — Visit shokz.com/ontherun for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Dakotah’s Puma contract came together (3:15)
- How Dakotah’s feeling heading into her first race as a sponsored athlete (7:45)
- On being a happy runner (10:40)
- Reflecting on the 2021 Boston Marathon, and the highs and lows in Dakotah’s career so far (14:10)
- How Dakotah plans her racing calendar, and all about signing with an agent (23:00)
- The underdog mentality (26:50)
- All about Dakotah’s training (33:00)
- What Dakotah’s childhood was like, and how she got into running (38:45)
- All the stuff Dakotah does off the run (46:00)
- Dakotah’s advice for pursuing big running goals in 2022 (55:00)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!