“If I’m stuck on a joke, I’ll go for a run and think about it during my run. And almost all the time, I can figure it out on the run.”
Michelle Wolf is a comedian who is best known for her stand-up specials (Michelle Wolf: Joke Show on Netflix, and Michelle Wolf: Nice Lady on HBO), and her roles as a writer and on-air contributor at both The Daily Show with Trevor Noah and Late Night with Seth Meyers. And though she’s been successful on the comedy scene for a long time, it was her set as the headliner at the 2018 White House Correspondents’ Dinner that really made headlines. Where was she when she got the call about being invited to the dinner? On a run. And what did she do in the aftermath, when life was, as she recalls, “tumultuous?” Go for a run. Michelle is a college high jumper turned avid distance runner, ultramarathoner, and self-proclaimed “track and field super fan.” On this episode, she talks about her road to comedy fame, what her joke-writing process is like, and how she deals when rejection and feedback are essential parts of her job. Plus, all about that White House Correspondents’ Dinner, including how she came up with the material, what it was like in the moment, and what happened next.
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Michelle became a fan of the sport (6:40)
- On writing and telling running jokes (15:15)
- Is the goal as a comedian to make everyone laugh the entire time? (17:00)
- What Michelle was like as a kid (19:20)
- How Michelle went from Wall Street to comedy (25:45)
- What Michelle’s comedic process is like (39:40)
- All about the 2018 White House Correspondents’ Dinner (47:30)
- Why that time in Michelle’s life was so “tumultuous” (1:03:20)
- What hasn’t Michelle done? (1:09:55)
- Michelle’s advice for being more confident (1:17:55)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!