“We all just decided, we need to keep moving. We can’t just stay here and wallow in this. Obviously we’ll still be grieving, but we all made the decision that we had to just do the best we could.”
Today’s episode in the Everyday Runner series is extra special: Molly Burke is here, and she is the newest member of the Ali on the Run Show team! (Merch! Events! A retreat! A live show tour! All in the works, thanks to Molly!) Molly’s story — both on the run and off — is a powerful one. On this episode, Molly talks about her family, about her dad (Brian Burke, president of hockey operations for the Pittsburgh Penguins) being big time in the NHL, and about the close bond she shares with her siblings. She talks about the impact her dad’s very public career had on her and her siblings growing up, and shares the story of her brother, Brendan, privately and publicly coming out as gay, and being the first NHL-affiliated person to do so. Tragically, Brendan was killed in a car accident just three months later. Molly talks about leaning into running as a way to help cope with her grief, and talks about being an advocate and ally for the LGBTQ+ community. (Come for the inspiration. Stay for the story about Molly getting kicked out of a Bruins game for standing up to a group of men using homophobic slurs.) Plus, Molly talks about her career working at Edelman and TripAdvisor, and talks about why she was hesitant to join a run group or group fitness class — and how she got over it.
SPONSOR: COROS — Use code ONTHERUN for a free keychain watch charger with the purchase of any watch!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What running looks like for Molly right now (4:45)
- What Molly’s childhood was like (14:30)
- How Molly is like her dad, and how she’s like her mom (23:10)
- All about Molly’s brother, Brendan (25:00)
- How Molly found running (42:00)
- On being an advocate and ally for the LGBTQ+ community (49:30)
- What it was like running the virtual Boston Marathon last year, and raising more than $11,000 for You Can Play (54:00)
- Molly’s running and racing highlights (1:01:30)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!