Photo by Cortney White
“There was never a low point for me. Is that weird?!”
Two weeks before this year’s New York City Marathon, Elyse Kopecky was on the Ali on the Run Show with best friend Shalane Flanagan, talking all about their NYC Marathon plans and dreams, and about the release of their third cookbook, Rise & Run. Now, Elyse is back — and she’s officially a marathoner! On this episode, Elyse shares every detail of her debut marathon experience. She talks about the highs and lows of training, about the struggle of being a mom pulled in many directions at all times, and about traveling to New York City alone. She reflects on the excitement of Rise & Run becoming a New York Times best-seller the same week as the marathon, and breaks down her race week. Then, she talks about lining up on the top of the Verrazzano Bridge next to Shalane, and about meeting her at the finish line 3 hours, 32 minutes, and 28 seconds later. Plus, all the excitement of the 26.2 miles in between.
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- On Rise & Run making the New York Times best-seller list the week of the marathon (3:00)
- Elyse shares her pre-NYC knowledge (5:00)
- The highs and lows of training (8:00)
- All the new things Elyse did before race day (11:15)
- What it was like lining up at the start line next to Shalane (16:30)
- All about the race! (20:00)
- That finish line feeling (29:30)
- How Elyse celebrated her marathon finish (34:00)
- “The biggest thing that was new on race day” (39:45)
- Now what? (44:30)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!