“I really want to represent the country, and I want to make that the focus of my entire year.”
Last month, Emma Bates was among the thousands of runners who ran the Chicago Marathon on a very hot, very humid day. But the weather didn’t bring her down: Emma finished second that day, earning herself a spot on the podium and a new personal best time in the marathon (2:24:20). On this episode, the professional runner for Asics reflects on that day in Chicago, and shares the lessons she learned when the running got tough. She talks about her emotional 2020, including missing a spot on Team USA at the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials, and then traveling to Europe afterward and getting a bad case of Covid-19 (which she hates talking about). Then, she talks about returning to the roads for the Marathon Project, and about her decision to join Team Boss and to be coached by Joe Bosshard. Plus, all about her weekend spectating at the TCS New York City Marathon (where she was best friend Laura Thweatt‘s “person”), and her excitement about earning a spot on next year’s world championship team in the marathon.
SPONSOR: Napa Valley Marathon & Half Marathon — Registration is now open for next year’s races. Click the link and secure your spot today for these fast, scenic races on March 6, 2022.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- On being Laura Thweatt’s “person” during the New York City Marathon (4:00)
- How Emma celebrated after the Chicago Marathon, and how recovery is going (12:00)
- Emma’s 2022 plans, hopes, and dreams (18:30)
- What Emma remembers most from Chicago (21:10)
- Emma’s pre-race conversation with coach Joe Bosshard, what Emma’s like on race day, and all about “methodical patience” (25:30)
- When the race got hard (29:00)
- On running and grief (33:00)
- What the last mile of the Chicago Marathon was like, and what happened after the race (36:00)
- Reflecting on the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials, and getting Covid after (45:00)
- Reflecting on the 2020 Marathon Project (51:00)
- All about joining Team Boss (52:00)
- On being an emotional runner (1:00:00)
- What’s next for Emma? (1:02:00)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!