“It’s been fun to stand on the start line with really good friends and just feel like we’re a team, in this together.”
Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky are best friends — best friends who run, bake, and co-author best-selling cookbooks together! On this episode, Shalane and Elyse are here to talk about their latest cookbook (available now!), Rise & Run. They talk about the unexpected success and popularity of their Superhero Muffins, and admit that they never thought anyone would publish their first cookbook (Run Fast, Eat Slow), let alone turn it into a three-book series. They share their friendship story (and stories about tequila), talk about how motherhood has changed their relationship, and talk about how they’re celebrating their 40th birthdays this year. Shalane talks about Project Eclipse — her quest to run all six World Marathon Majors in 42 days — and about how she’s feeling heading in her sixth and final race, the New York City Marathon next weekend. And Elyse talks about training for her marathon debut, also in NYC. Lots to celebrate on this episode, from muffins and marathons to motherhood and more!
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Shalane and Elyse are feeling heading into the New York City Marathon (4:30)
- All about Rise & Run (7:15)
- Shalane talks “taper” (14:45)
- Shalane and Elyse talk NYC Marathon plans (20:20)
- Shalane and Elyse share their friendship story (24:40)
- What runs with Shalane and Elyse are like (35:00)
- How Shalane and Elyse’s friendship has changed since becoming mothers (39:35)
- On Shalane’s “runway looks” for Project Eclipse (48:40)
- Shalane reflects on her Project Eclipse training (55:50)
- Shalane’s New York City Marathon advice (58:15)
- Why Rise & Run is dedicated to parents and caregivers (1:04:45)
Listen to Shalane on Episode 242 of the Ali on the Run Show.
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!