“He said, ‘I want you to feel like you can take over this race. And take over early.’ And I was like, ‘Wait, what?!’”
This girl is on fire! Courtney Frerichs is a two-time Olympian for Team USA who just returned from Tokyo as a silver medalist! Courtney, who trains with Nike’s Bowerman Track Club, competed in the 3000m steeplechase at the Tokyo Olympics, and made the final an exciting one when she made her move and took the lead with four laps to go. (A move she attributes both to coach Jerry Schumacher’s plan and to her own quiet confidence and instinct taking over mid-race.) Courtney went into the Games as the American record holder in the 3000m steeplechase and as a world silver medalist, and just a week after returning from Tokyo, she competed at the Prefontaine Classic where she became the first American woman to go sub-9:00 in the steeplechase. On this episode, Courtney talks about the hard work she’s done on her mental game leading up to this year’s Olympic Track & Field Trials and, ultimately, the Olympics. She talks about what it was like being in Tokyo, gives a behind-the-scenes look at life in the athlete village (where she roomed with Team USA’s 1500m runner Elle Purrier St. Pierre), and shares the mantras that helped her through it all.
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Where is Courtney keeping her silver medal? (3:30)
- Courtney’s plans and goals for the Pre Classic, and whether she feels pressure going into the race (5:40)
- All about Courtney’s decision to prioritize her mental health recently (9:30)
- Courtney’s first impressions when she got to Tokyo (23:15)
- How Courtney was feeling before the racing started at the Games (32:00)
- What running was like in Tokyo (40:45)
- Courtney recaps the Prelims (43:30)
- Courtney shares her pre-race routine (47:00)
- All about Courtney’s race plan and that “big move” (53:50)
- What it felt like to cross the line and earn an Olympic silver medal (1:02:50)
- How Courtney is feeling now (1:08:30)
- On going back to school for nutrition (1:10:15)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!