“I feel like nothing and everything changed.”
Keira D’Amato is many things: a full-time realtor, a mom of two, a Nike-sponsored professional runner, and — her newest title — a world record holder. Last year, Keira had arguably the best running year of her life. She ran a personal best at the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials (2:34), ran a 5K on the track in 15:04 (beating her lifetime best by a full minute), won the Michigan Pro Half Marathon (and ran a 64-second personal best), ran a 2:22 at the Marathon Project (a 12-minute PR), and broke the 10-mile women’s only American record at a race she created called the Up Dawg 10-Miler. Turns out, that race wasn’t just an American record — it was also good enough for a just-ratified world record! At the peak of it all, Keira signed with a sponsor (Nike) for the first time at age 36. Unfortunately, since then, Keira has dealt with injury stuff and health stuff, and had to scratch from the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, where she’d hoped to run the 10K. Still, her perspective is as inspiring ever, and she’s one of the funnest, funniest women in running. Always a good time with Keira on the Ali on the Run Show!
THE LAST TIME KEIRA WAS ON THE SHOW: Episode 305
SPONSOR: UCAN. Click here and use code ALI for 20% off your entire UCAN order!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What’s making Keira happy right now? (6:00)
- Keira’s advice for raising confident kids (10:00)
- All about D’Amato family food challenges (13:50)
- Reflecting on running the Up Dawg 10-Miler and setting both an American Record and a World Record (20:00)
- On becoming a sponsored runner and signing with Nike (26:20)
- How a kind compliment from Molly Seidel changed so much for Keira (35:00)
- On the decision to scratch from the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials (40:00)
- All about Keira’s recent 5K vs. her husband — where he got a big advantage! — and their Vegas wedding (49:50)
- Keira’s biggest hopes, dreams, and goals on the run and beyond (1:01:00)
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!