“I just remember thinking during the race, ‘I’m running my race and I’m doing everything I can to give myself a shot at making this team.’ And at the end of the day, if it’s enough, it’s enough.”
The last time Emily Sisson was on the Ali on the Run Show, it was to break down her disappointing race at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials. Today, Emily returns to the show — and this time, we’re celebrating! Last month, Emily raced — and won! — the 10,000m at the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials, earning herself a spot on Team USA for this summer’s Olympic Games. On a hot day at Hayward Field in Eugene, OR, Emily took the lead five laps into the 25-lap race, and she held it the entire time, finishing in 31:03 and breaking a 17-year-old Trials record that was formerly held by Deena Kastor. On this episode, Emily talks about the win and shares every detail from race day. She talks about how hot it really was on the track that day, explains how she recovered physically and emotionally after last year’s Marathon Trials, and shares how she feels about making her first Olympic team.
SPONSOR: goodr. Click here and use code ONTHERUN15 for 15% off your entire goodr order!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Emily celebrated her 10K win (3:55)
- Reflecting back on the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials (5:35)
- What Emily’s training was like leading up to the Track & Field Trials (11:00)
- On arriving at Hayward Field (15:45)
- Emily’s thoughts on the heat and the 40-woman field (22:30)
- What it’s like being the one to watch (27:00)
- How Emily felt at the start of the race (33:55)
- What it was like lapping the field (40:40)
- On “running scared” (42:30)
- When Emily knew she had the win (45:30)
- What happened after the race (48:00)
- What Emily has learned from training partner Molly Huddle (51:30)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!