“It felt like there was an earthquake in the running world, and we’re seeing these fault lines change everything. And some things are good, and some things are weird.”
As the current American record holder in the 10,000 meters, Molly Huddle was one to watch heading into this year’s Olympic Track & Field Trials. But just a few days before the Trials kicked off in Eugene, OR, Molly (who is also the American record holder in the 10 mile, the 20K, and the half-marathon) announced that she wouldn’t be racing the 10K after all. She pulled out of the race, citing an injury that she’s been dealing with since last year’s Olympic Marathon Trials. On this episode, Molly — who represented Team USA at the last two Olympics, in 2012 in the 5000m and in 2016 in the 10,000m — talks about what it was like scratching from the biggest race of the year, and how she’s handling the loss of an Olympic cycle and a chance to be on this year’s team. She talks about watching her training partner and friend Emily Sisson win the 10K, shares her Trials highlights as a fan of the sport, and reflects on the current state of the running industry as a whole. Plus, Molly talks about what’s next, including her running goals, her upcoming book (How She Did It, out next year), and what’s on tap for the Keeping Track podcast, which she co-hosts with Roisin McGettigan-Dumas and Alysia Montaño.
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What it was like watching training partner Emily Sisson win the 10000m at the Olympic Track & Field Trials (6:20)
- What it’s been like dealing with an injury for the past year (18:00)
- Reflecting on racing the Mini 10K a few weeks ago (22:30)
- Making the decision to scratch from the Trials (35:30)
- What it was like hearing about Shelby Houlihan’s positive drug test (38:20)
- How Molly felt emotionally after scratching from the Trials (41:50)
- Molly’s thoughts on returning to the track, what the fall has in store for her, how book writing is going, and what’s coming soon to Keeping Track (45:00)
- Molly’s “State of the Running Industry” (55:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Molly Huddle on Episode 51 of the Ali on the Run Show
Molly Huddle on Episode 66 of the Ali on the Run Show
Molly Huddle on Episode 259 of the Ali on the Run Show
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!