“This is a definite compliment from Des. She was like, ‘I like you enough where I can hang out with you for three hours!’”
In April, Des Linden made history by making her ultramarathon debut and, in the process, breaking the world record in the 50K (2:59:54) and becoming the first woman to run a 50K in under three hours. And while Des may hold the new record, she didn’t go it alone: She was joined by Charlie Lawrence. Charlie ran at the University of Minnesota, and made his marathon debut at the California International Marathon in 2018, where he ran a 2:16 and earned himself an Olympic Trials qualifying time. On this episode, Charlie talks about what it was like pacing Des that day in Oregon, including what their pre-race conversation was like, what he remembers most from the race, and what he thought about his first “Shoey.” And go give Charlie some love: He’ll be racing the 50K road championships next weekend!
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How Charlie got the job as Des’s pacer (4:20)
- How Des and Charlie met (7:45)
- What 2021 was looking like for Charlie on the run (9:50)
- How Charlie trained and prepared for the 50K (13:30)
- What Des and Charlie’s pre-race talk was like (17:30)
- What the race was like (27:30)
- Highlights from race day (32:40)
- What the finish line and post-race celebrations were like (36:15)
- What’s next for Charlie? (43:20)
- Is this the life Young Charlie imagined? (47:55)
What we mention on this episode:
Des Linden on Episode 363 of the Ali on the Run Show
Calum Neff on Episode 318 of the Ali on the Run Show
The CIM Pacers on Episode 196 of the Ali on the Run Show
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!