“So, there is hope. I am still an optimist about this, and I’m doing as much as I can to keep myself healthy. If this is my destiny or whatever and there’s nothing I can do to stop it, that’s fine. But I’m gonna live my life to the fullest in the meantime, because nothing is guaranteed. So I’ll keep challenging myself to do things while my mind and my body are able.”
I have been following Devon Pass since before she was Devon Pass. Devon was one of the OG bloggers in the early 2010s, and I loved following her travel adventures on Tumblr. (She was Devon Mills at the time.) Today, Devon is married to her husband, Aaron, and they live in Washington with their five-year-old daughter, Evie. Devon is a copywriter for Nordstrom (cool!), and is a six-time marathoner. We cover a lot of ground in this episode — it really was just catching up with an old friend. Devon talks about how she learned to save money in her twenties, and how she was able to support herself while she traveled the world. She talks about the moments that made her stronger along the way, and talks about how she met her now husband. She shares her running story, and talks about what she’s doing right now to get faster and stronger. She talks candidly about new motherhood, and what it was like being the first in her friend group to have a baby. And she talks about her mom, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in her sixties. (Tissue warning for this part of the conversation.) It’s a well-rounded conversation that perfectly showcases this well-rounded woman.
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- How was your run today? (5:30)
- Devon shares her running story, and talks about a recent unsettling encounter on the run (9:00)
- On having a goal-oriented mentality, and where that came from (22:50)
- Devon looks back on her time traveling the world alone in her early twenties (28:30)
- Reflecting on new motherhood (40:00)
- What Devon’s days are like as a copywriter for Nordstrom (49:20)
- Why Devon says her marriage has been “stronger and happier than ever” during the pandemic (54:20)
- Devon talks about her mother’s Alzheimer’s disease diagnosis (1:03:30)
What we mention on this episode:
The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
“Puzzle Pieces,” Devon’s post about being a new mom
Keep Sharp by Sanjay Gupta
Let Your Mind Run by Deena Kastor
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!