“We spend so much time in our lives comparing ourselves. So my mantra is, life isn’t about what you don’t have. It’s what you do with the gifts you are given.”
Tatyana McFadden is one of the most-decorated athletes of all time. She is a 17-time Paralympic medalist (she’s been competing at the Games since she was 15!) and 23-time World Marathon Majors winner, and she’s currently gearing up for this year’s Paralympic Games in Tokyo, where she hopes to compete in every distance from the 100m up to the marathon. On this episode, Tatyana catches us up on all that’s happened since the last time she was on the Ali on the Run Show. She talks about her film, Rising Phoenix, which she both helped produce and stars in. She talks about her friendship with Prince Harry, and about being on an episode of Project Runway. And she talks about her ambitious plans for Tokyo this summer, where she will compete in the Paralympics for the sixth consecutive time.
SPONSOR: AJC Peachtree Road Race — Register for this year’s race today at ajc.com/peachtree.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Tatyana talks about her upcoming race plans (4:45)
- How is Prince Harry doing? (6:45)
- All about Rising Phoenix (9:00)
- Tatyana’s advice for extending longevity in this career (25:30)
- Reflecting on life a year ago (33:20)
- All about being on Project Runway (41:00)
- On Joe Biden including the word “disability” in his victory speech last year (47:20)
- How Tatyana trains to be successful at such a range of distances (50:45)
- Who does Tatyana look up to? (54:30)
- What the qualifying process looks like for the Paralympics (56:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Rising Phoenix on Netflix
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!