“In order for me to light the world on fire — I am going to do amazing things in Tokyo — I’m going to train smart, I’m going to stay out of trouble, and I’m going to stay injury free. Because I believe in my heart that even four months of training, I am going to be super fit and I’m going to have an amazing race in Tokyo. I just hope that my body is in tune with my mind. Because I know in my mind that even though I just had a child, that’s not going to be a barrier. I’m not going to make excuses. My child is going to be the motivation for me, and I know I have what it takes to succeed in Tokyo.”
Aliphine is back! Back on the run (!!!), and back on the Ali on the Run Show. The last time Aliphine Tuliamuk — the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials champion — was on the show, she was eight months pregnant, readying to give birth to a baby girl. And now, that baby girl is here: Zoe was born on January 13, 2021, and on this episode (her first postpartum podcast interview!), Aliphine reflects on her pregnancy, on giving birth, and on the first few weeks of new motherhood. She also talks about her careful and calculated return to running, as she prepares to compete at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics representing Team USA. Aliphine is open, honest, and holds nothing back.
SPONSOR: AJC Peachtree Road Race — Register for this year’s race today at ajc.com/peachtree.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- The advice Aliphine received as she prepares for her return to running (5:30)
- Reflecting on pregnancy, labor, and delivery (7:45)
- Aliphine’s post-birth scare (24:55)
- On having a support system (30:15)
- What has surprised Aliphine most about new motherhood (39:15)
- Raising a child in the U.S. vs. Kenya (42:25)
- Aliphine talks about her deliberate and careful return to running and training (50:30)
- Aliphine talks about watching A Time and A Place, and looks back at the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials experience (1:00:50)
- On finding support within the professional women’s running community (1:09:20)
What we mention on this episode:
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!