“The only person who can make you feel good about yourself is yourself. You really have to feel confident in who you are and what you bring to the table, and know that you’re enough. That’s your foundation.”
Ask any Peloton devotee about instructor Olivia Amato, and you’ll probably hear the same phrase over and over: “She’s a real-life Energizer Bunny.” Olivia is one of the few Peloton instructors who can “do it all” — she teaches on both the bike and the treadmill, and teaches strength classes. (Her core classes will leave your entire body quivering.) But Peloton wasn’t always the plan for Olivia. Though she was super sporty growing up, a guidance counselor suggested she pursue a career in finance. So when Olivia graduated high school, that’s exactly what she did: went to college and then went on to Wall Street, where she worked in sales and trading. Though she thrived in the fast-paced, high-stress environment, she hated it. It wasn’t her passion. She loved fitness, and as soon as she had her “a-ha” moment, that’s where she headed. She got certified, got hired at a spin studio and a boxing studio, and was suddenly teaching 30 classes a week. Today, though, Olivia has found happiness, true joy, and balance as a Peloton instructor. On this episode, she talks about dealing with burnout, what to do when you realize you’re not happy and need to pivot, and how she’s built her confidence over the years. (“And I’m still working on it,” she assures.)
Peloton friends, join the fun — add the #FriendsofAliOTR tag to your profile so we can cheer each other on and swap high fives!
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Olivia’s take on being a “real-life energizer bunny” (4:50)
- Getting to know Young Olivia (9:00)
- On pursuing a career in finance (12:45)
- How Olivia broke into the fitness industry, and how she got the job at Peloton (18:25)
- All about Olivia’s Breakthrough Runs, and a behind-the-scenes look at the programming at Peloton (29:00)
- On teaching in an empty room during the pandemic (40:40)
- What don’t we know about Olivia Amato? (45:15)
- On the evolution of Olivia (49:00)
- Is there pressure to look a certain way in the fitness industry? (54:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!