“Maybe we place too much emphasis on the idea of what other people think a runner is.”
After having her third baby, Erin Azar wasn’t feeling like herself. So one day — having never run before — she decided to go outside and run a mile. From there, she committed to running a mile a day for 30 days straight, documenting her journey along the way. The result: Erin went viral on TikTok, with her first running video amassing more than one million views overnight. And when her mile-a-day month was up, she leveled up, and decided to train for and run her first marathon. Then, when said marathon was canceled due to the pandemic, she ran it anyway: virtually, and mostly alone. Erin is super honest about the realities of running being hard, especially for new runners. This is an inspiring, fun conversation for runners who are new to the sport and ones who have been doing it for decades.
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Where the nickname “Mrs. Space Cadet” came from (3:45)
- Erin shares her running story (8:30)
- What did Erin feel was missing from the running industry? (13:45)
- How it felt when Erin’s first running video jumped to one million views on TikTok — overnight (16:00)
- Why Erin decided to go all-in and train for a marathon (28:00)
- What it was like running a marathon for the first time — virtually (36:00)
- Why Erin decided to get a coach, and why she thinks other new runners can benefit from having one, too (38:00)
- Erin’s advice for first-time virtual marathoners (46:45)
- What does a day in the life of Erin look like? (49:15)
- Erin’s message to anyone who doesn’t feel seen or represented in the running community (52:00)
What we mention on this episode:
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!