“He said, ‘If you want to see your son grow up, you need to make these changes.’ Done. That’s all I needed to hear.”
The Mirnavator is here! Mirna Valerio is a sponsored athlete, ultra runner, best-selling author (check out her book, A Beautiful Work in Progress), trained opera singer (yes, she sings on this episode!), mother, educator, activist (she leads diversity, equity, and inclusion workshops for brands including Nike and Burton), and speaker. She has appeared on the Kelly Clarkson Show and the Rich Roll podcast (twice!), she trained Will Smith for a half marathon, and she was named 2018 Adventurer of the Year by National Geographic. She’s also arguably one of the most influential women in running today. On this episode, Mirna talks about how she became “The Mirnavator,” explains what it was like when her blog, Fat Girl Running, went viral in 2015, and what life has been like ever since. Plus, she shares her core values, offers an exercise for how can all discover our own values, and talks about her exciting new projects (a novel! a podcast!).
SPONSOR: AfterShokz — Visit ontherun.aftershokz.com for 15% off wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Mirna sings! (Plus, why and how she recently sang for Nigel Barker) (7:00)
- What’s making Mirna happy today? (15:40)
- On having an impact (23:00)
- Did Young Mirna envision this future for herself, as a sponsored athlete? And how did a health scare in 2008 lead to where she is today? (26:00)
- On going viral (45:00)
- How Mirna ended up training Will Smith for a half marathon (56:30)
- What hasn’t Mirna done? (1:10:10)
- Mirna’s advice for identifying your core values (1:14:00)
What we mention on this episode:
“REI Presents Mirna Valerio, Ultra Runner”
Mirna Valerio on The Kelly Clarkson Show
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!