“There’s always someone gunning for that spot. And if you’re off your game at all, they’re going to take it.”
Jenny Simpson is the country’s most-decorated female miler and 1500-meter runner. Case in point: She’s a three-time Olympian, she won gold in the 1500 at the 2011 World Championships, she was the first U.S. woman to win an Olympic medal in the 1500 when she won bronze in Rio in 2016, and she’s a two-time world silver medalist. She has won the Fifth Avenue Mile eight times, and her personal bests include a 3:57.22 1500 and a 4:16.1 road mile. On this episode, Jenny talks about how she and her husband Jason have been spending quarantine. She shares her thoughts on retirement (someday!), having a baby (someday!), and “waiting to be slow” (which may never happen!). But mostly, we talk about Truman, the dog Jenny and Jason adopted once the lockdowns started.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for 15% off all wireless headphones.
What you’ll get on this episode:
- All about Truman! (4:30)
- What life has looked like for Jenny during the pandemic (9:55)
- What do Jenny’s easy days look like? (16:00)
- Jenny’s thoughts on the Olympics right now (18:30)
- How do you know when to retire? (23:55)
- Which runners are Jenny’s eyes on? (30:00)
- Jenny’s advice for running a fast mile (39:00)
- What are Jenny’s sponsor obligations right now? (45:00)
- Jenny talks about cheering for her husband, Jason, at the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials in February (51:00)
What we mention on this episode:
- Instagram @aliontherun1
- Like the Facebook page
- Join the Facebook group
- Twitter @aliontherun1
- Support on Patreon
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!