“I didn’t really have the credentials to back up what I wanted to do. I just had a dream and a lot of passion and determination.”
If you don’t already know it, remember the name Kaitlin Goodman. Kaitlin is a professional runner for the Boston Athletic Association and a run coach with a master’s degree in public health. She’s fast — and multifaceted. Kaitlin, who lives in Providence, RI, and trains in Boston, is a four-time Olympic Trials qualifier: She’s qualified in the 5,000 meters, the 10,000 meters, and the marathon. (She runs a 2:32 marathon.) And although it’s been a lifelong dream to become a professional runner, it hasn’t all been smooth sailing and speedy running along the way. Kaitlin suffered a brutal injury while training for last year’s New York City Marathon, and she eagerly opens up about what that physical and mental recovery process looked like. She talks about making goals, and what happens when you don’t hit them, and she shares how she rebounds and grows from disappointing experiences. Kaitlin breaks down what, exactly, it means to be a professional runner, and talks about training alongside Molly Huddle and Emily Sisson.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
Listen on Apple Podcasts I Spotify I SoundCloud I Overcast I Stitcher I Google Play
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Kaitlin talks about what it takes to be successful at a medley of distances, including the 5,000 meters, the 10,000 meters, and the marathon (4:15)
- Was being a professional runner always the plan? Plus, the good, bad, and ugly of having a dad as a running coach (5:30)
- What does it mean to try and go pro as a runner? (10:50, and again at 37:00)
- The road to the 2016 Trials, and how race day went for Kaitlin (18:40)
- How Kaitlin ended up in New England (31:20)
- The brutal injury that sidelined Kaitlin while training for the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon (43:00)
- What does it mean to run joyfully? (56:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Sara Hall on Episode 144 of the Ali on the Run Show
Steph Bruce on Episode 104 of the Ali on the Run Show
Lauren Fleshman on Episode 103 of the Ali on the Run Show
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!