“When you focus on yourself, you get the best results.”
Mirinda “Rinny” Carfrae is a professional triathlete and three-time Ironman World Champion. On this episode, Rinny talks about her road to swim-bike-run domination, and how she went from a scrappy basketball player to the fastest woman in Kona. Rinny — who is from Brisbane, Australia, but now lives and trains in Boulder, CO — is a podium staple at both the Ironman and the Half-Ironman distance. She’s also a mom to two-year-old Isabelle, and she’s very candid about what it’s like deciding to have a baby as a professional athlete. She talks about how her sponsors reacted — and what their support looked like — when she announced her pregnancy, and shares how she managed to train for an Ironman while breastfeeding. She talks about pre-race nerves, whether she’d ever ditch the swim and the bike to race a road marathon, and the time she overcame a 14-minute deficit off the bike to land the win in Kona. And of course, Rinny shares her big goals for 2019.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
What you’ll get on this episode:
- Rinny recaps her very successful month of 70.3 racing (2:40)
- Rinny’s road to success, from basketball to Kona domination (8:20)
- What it was like competing in Kona for the first time (15:45)
- Why Rinny says having a baby helped her become a better cyclist (23:20)
- All about Rinny’s at-home “Pain Cave” — including how it helped her breastfeed while training (24:15)
- On making up time on the run during an Ironman or Half Ironman — including the time Rinny overcame a 14-minute deficit to snag the win in Kona (28:00)
- What being a triathlete really consists of (36:00)
- Would Rinny ever ditch the swim and the bike in favor of a road marathon? (40:00)
- How Rinny ended up in Boulder (42:00)
- How Rinny met her husband, Tim (45:00)
- Rinny opens up about her decision to have a baby — plus how her sponsors reacted to the news (52:30)
- On returning to training and competition after having Isabelle (58:00)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!