“We’re distance runners. We know how to dig in with hard stuff and persevere.”
Sara and Ryan Hall are one of the best-known couples in the running industry. Ryan is a retired professional runner: He holds the American record in both the half marathon (59:43) and marathon (2:04:58), and represented the United States at both the 2008 and 2012 Olympic games. Today, he’s a coach, he’s spending a ton of time bulking up in the gym, and he just published his latest book, Run the Mile You’re In. Sara is a professional middle-distance-turned-long-distance runner, who holds a 2:26 marathon PR and has her eyes set on the 2020 Olympic Marathon Trials. On this episode, Sara and Ryan talk candidly about their marriage, what they fight about, and what it’s like being coached by your spouse. Ryan is Sara’s coach, and they were very honest about what it’s like for each of them when Sara doesn’t have a good race or workout. They also talk about adopting their four daughters from Ethiopia, and take a trip down memory lane sharing their love story, from first sushi date to proposal to becoming parents.
Thank you to AfterShokz for sponsoring this episode of the Ali on the Run Show! CLICK HERE for $50 off your wireless headphone endurance bundle!
Listen on Apple Podcasts I Spotify I SoundCloud I Overcast I Stitcher I Google Play
What you’ll get on this episode:
- What the Halls are celebrating right now (3:50)
- Sara talks about what it’s like being coached by her husband — and a glimpse at what they fight about in their relationship (4:40)
- Ryan and Sara’s love story, including who made the first move, the first kiss, how Ryan proposed, and the roles running and religion have played in their relationship (13:30)
- Sara and Ryan’s adoption story (23:35)
- How prepared did Sara and Ryan feel for parenthood, and what were their expectations? Plus, how they support and encourage their daughters when it comes to running (30:40)
- Fast Ryan or Ripped Ryan? Sara tells all! (45:15)
- What Ryan’s decision to retire meant for the Hall family (49:15)
- How Sara has gotten faster over the past few years (50:45)
- What’s next for the Halls? (58:10)
What we mention on this episode:
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!