“Be open-minded and bring snacks.”
Dr. Meggie is back! Meggie Smith made her Ali on the Run Show debut last year, when she was wrapping up her OB/GYN residency at the NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City. After graduating, Meggie moved to California, where she’s currently pursuing her fellowship in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at the University of Southern California. On Part II of this two-part episode, Meggie answers listener questions about fertility, infertility, and giving birth, plus all kinds of personal stuff, like what med school is really like, what it takes to gross her out, how to date when you’re constantly on call, and whether delivering babies every day makes her want one more or less. And listen to the very end, because the last question of this episode might be my favorite.
Listen on Apple Podcasts I Spotify I SoundCloud I Overcast I Stitcher I Google Play
What you’ll get in this episode:
- How long do healthy couples try for a baby? (1:30)
- What can I do now to become pregnant in a couple years? (4:00)
- Is it ever too early to start taking pre-natal vitamins? (5:50)
- Is mid- to late-thirties too late to have kids? (6:20)
- How long should you wait to conceive after traveling to a country with the Zika virus? (9:20)
- Birth stuff: Meggie’s thoughts on epidural vs. drug-free births (10:20)
- What do OB/GYNs really think about birth plans? (11:40)
- Meggie’s best advice for someone going into labor & the biggest myth about labor (14:00)
- Postpartum stuff — including why you’re peeing a little when you run (15:15)
- Are some vaginas weird? (19:20)
- Meggie’s best advice for studying for the MCATs (21:00)
- Meggie’s experience with burnout (26:00)
- Dating & doctoring (28:00)
- Whether delivering babies every day makes Meggie want one more or less (32:25)
What we mention on this episode:
Meggie Smith on Episode 61 of the Ali on the Run Show
Meggie Smith on Episode 27 of the Ali on the Run Show
University of Southern California
Meggie’s Every Mother Counts / NYC Half fundraiser
Jamie & Jeff’s Birth Plan via McSweeney’s
Abby Bales on Episode 49 of the Ali on the Run Show
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
Listen & Subscribe:
SUPPORT the Ali on the Run Show! If you’re enjoying the show, please subscribe and leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Spread the run love. And if you liked this episode, share it with your friends!
I loved this episode! I have no plans to ever be pregnant and I still loved it. “Be open minded and bring snacks” is my new mantra for every weekend/workday/vacation/veterinary appointment.
Just wanted to say thank you for your great podcast, which has motivated me to get out on some of my favorite runs this year. Keep it up!