Today has all the makings of a bad day — I woke up feeling miserable, I definitely didn’t get to run (again), there are no signs of nice weather in today’s forecast and I have a meeting at 11 that I’m wildly unprepared for — but I refuse to let it play out that way.
Maybe if today didn’t happen to be Thankful Things Thursday, I’d let myself be in a pissy mood. But, today is that one magical day of the week where I say, “Ali, forget about the fact that you have Crohn’s and/or colitis, and think about all the fantastic things you have in your life.”
I’m thankful for yesterday’s sick day. Am I thankful that I feel like crap (hilarious pun)? No. Not at all.
But I am really glad that I was able to spend the entire day alternating between my couch and my bed. Brian stayed home with me, and together we were a lovely sight: me, constantly running for the bathroom, and him, trying to calm his sinus infection with a Neti Pot (ew), Afrin spray and several spontaneous naps.
We watched a lot of “Modern Family” and I fell asleep a lot. Every time he would complain that the apartment was “too hot,” I would be sitting there with goosebumps. Turns out, I had a 100.6-degree fever. Not too high, but high enough that my body was out of whack and unhappy.
I’m thankful there is a grocery store right across the street from my building. Many people ask me “what I eat” with Crohn’s disease (ahem, colitis now, folks). There are certain foods I avoid entirely — corn, pizza (sad) and fried stuff — but generally when I’m having a flare-up I eat whatever doesn’t completely repulse me. I tend to lose my appetite and just eat because I know I should.
The only time I left the apartment yesterday was to run across the street to the grocery store. As soon as I walked in, my stomach went into attack-mode and I freaked out. I think leaving the comfort of my own home got to me. I panicked a little bit, bought a box of brownie mix and ran back home.
And yes, I had a brownie for dinner. Fantastic diet, I know.
I’m thankful your Sweat shirts are on their way. It feels great knowing that the shirts arrived, and that they’re being shipped all over the place today.
Again, there are no shirts for sale right now — not online and not in stores.
I’m thankful that after a disastrous day at home – involving many unattractive and urgent visits to the bathroom in my small studio apartment — Brian seems to be sticking around. One of the worst things about having a digestive disorder is that the symptoms are so gross to talk about. And it’s funny, because I have no problem writing all about this stuff on my blog (you’re welcome), but I hate talking about it face-to-face with Brian. Dating is weird.
I’m thankful for puppies. Aren’t I always? Look at these little guys:
I’m thankful that I just have to get through today, and then I’m on a mini-vacation. I can’t wait to get out of the city and spend a few days relaxing with my family.
The plans for the getaway include getting a massage, playing tennis, bike riding and eating. I’m not sure how active I’ll want to be, but I’m hoping just being in the “time to chill out” mentality will help my stomach cool it.
I’m thankful that I “only” have Crohn’s or colitis or whatever. Yeah, this sucks. Being sick sucks. But my situation could be so much worse and I feel fortunate that while there isn’t at cure for these diseases, there are temporary treatments for them. Every time I have a flare-up I get upset and frustrated, but they are called flare-ups for a reason: they flare up, and then they calm down. I can deal with that. And that $20,000 you all helped me raise? Pretty sure that’s going to help put an end to these little problems.
I’m thankful you’ve been voting! I’m honored to be included in SHAPE magazine’s Top Blogs contest, even though I think it’s a little odd to be “nominated” in the sports category.
Though, last night I did throw a tennis ball around my apartment for a little while…alone…and dropped the ball a lot. But yeah, I’m basically ready for Wimbledon, so if you’d like to cast your vote for Ali On The Run, that would be nice. You can vote every day (one vote per computer each day) until October 28. Good times.
I’m thankful I got a seat on the subway this morning. That always makes the commute just a bit more pleasant.
I’m thankful Sharpies come in more colors than just black. Because what fun is life if you can’t address envelopes in an obnoxiously bright color?
I’m thankful for all the helpful advice on yesterday’s post. I really appreciate the doctor recommendations, and I’m eager to start making some calls.
I’m thankful that my last name is easy to write in cursive. It’s really loopy because it has “elle” in the middle of it. It makes signing my name pretty simple.
I’m thankful for sarcasm. It’s a helpful language tool, I think.
I’m thankful Thankful Things Thursday exists. I mean, I guess it “exists” in my mind only, but there are days, days like today, during which I just want to be cranky. I want to give up, I want to give in to feeling sick and I just want to quit life for a little while. Sometimes I really don’t want to post all the things I’m happy about, because there are (very rare) occasions during which I’m just not feeling peppy.
But I refuse to break this Thursday tradition of mine, so no matter how I’m feeling, once a week I will take the time to reflect only on the good things.
And it helps.
I promise, it helps.
SO NOW YOU DO IT: Even if you’re cranky and whiny today, I bet you can think of three things you’re psyched about. Share. That’s my favorite part.
here’s another thankful thing for you…even though it’s monday: you are in 2nd place in the Shape competition!! 🙂
Today may be Sunday and not Thursday, but I feel compelled to respond to this anyway:
I am thankful for fall and everything that comes with it. Brisk weather, pumpkin everything, and beautiful leaves. It’s perfection!
Hope you’re feeling better, Ali!
Thankful that I’m in the amazing New York City! And that I saw Jersey Boys for 27 dollars…can’t beat it.
Gratitude is such a strong emotion, I love reading all these comments.
Hope you’ve rested up this weekend & are feeling better!!
I’m thankful for
– my mom
– realizing what i wanted to do w/ my life before it was too late
– mis amigas!
1. that I can vote for you ,)
2. my dog lying next to me 🙂
3. your blog that makes me smile!
I love your positivity hope your feeling better!
Your positivity…even when everything in your life maybe isn’t so positive…is still contagious. Keep it up girl…and feel better.
I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing trip. Tummy maladies are no joke, and the diagnostics are horrible….whoever thought up the prep for colonoscopy was a twisted, twisted mind. Drink a half to full gallon of laxatives in 4-6 hours and then poo for 12 hours straight. Sounds perfect 😉
Um, I’m thankful that it’s Friday. That today was my splurge on dairy day and I started it off with a bagel and a “white caramel” coffee from my favorite shop, and that the day is almost 1/2 way over!
Ohhh I know what grocery store you are talking about. Whenever I’m sick, it’s the ONLY place I go 🙂 I too am thankful for that store, even though they are always stocking the aisles in the exact spot where I want something!
I’m thankful that it’s Friday because I am tired. I’m also thankful for puppies, because they make me smile. I love that you put them in your post and make me smile.
First time commenter, long time reader. I love your blog Ali, you make me smile everyday! AND motivate me to run. What more can I ask for.
I have just started a blog (literally) and am going to publish Thankful Things Thursday inspired by you! Except I live in New Zealand, so I’ll be posting from the future 😉
Thanks for being so awesome!
i’m thankful for FaveReds starburst.
HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!!!
I’m in a weird mood today… Just interviewed for a promotion and am not entirely sure how I did. But, even if I don’t get it, I still have lots of happy things going on! I am so lucky that my boss recommended me for a higher position… I must be doing something right… And I just bought my first car!!! And my cat has hypothyroidism, but now that she’s on medication she is back to normal. I’m going to visit Boston on Saturday… Anddd I’m moving into my new apartment next week! 🙂
I needed some positivity today, thanks Ali.
I’m thankful for:
1. Having a job so that I can take paid personal time when I don’t feel well (2.5 hours used this morning).
2. Having a mom who listens to every story of mine…however annoying I might get.
3. Payday Friday tomorrow! and Race for the Cure Saturday!
Ali i so am not going to lie and say that I look forward to thankful things thursday post every week…i was especially looking forward to it after a great workout at the gym at 6 am 🙂
I am thankful for:
1) my body allowed me to run 26.2 miles this past week and I’m still in one piece and i met my goal!
2) Friday is almost around the corner!! Yay Friday!
3) I’m thankful for the new show Pan-Am…I’m totally into it!
Good post. It’s real life. Sometimes it’s sucks. Sometimes you need to be sung to sleep like these puppies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnAjel02lM
I figured that could brighten up your day if you haven’t already seen it…ok even if you have, it’s still feel good puppy cute!
…and it is almost Friday!! Wahoo 🙂
Feel better girl!
1) I’m thankful I have a job that allows me to get out for a run at lunch time… (I’m also thankful for downhills and I’m thankful for tailwinds, and I’m especially thankful when you combine the two together).
2) I’m thankful for the new “chicken” costume I bought for my dog last night. It’s totally ridiculous and shameful and I can’t believe I’m one of “those people” but it is also amazingly cute and totally awesome! (which makes the shame slightly more bearable).
3) I’m thankful I discovered your blog and for your ‘Thankful Thursday’ posts. They/you never fail to make me smile.
It is a great day to be thankful!! I am thankful for:
1) My fastest ever mile run this morning. 9.08. Not qualifying for the Olympics yet but a massive delight – I was hoping for 9.30! Thanks to Ali for the inspiration!!
2) My parents are coming to stay next week – I’m a Brit living in California. Can’t wait.
3) I’m also thankful for pumpkin patches…my current obsession
I could go on…but will stop at three!!
Thankful that I got into the 2012 Boston Marathon today 😀
1. I am thankful to be going to hot yoga tonight.
2. I am thankful that I recognized someone in the hallway (and they recognized me!) of the university in the city that I’ve lived in part-time for just over a month. Yay for not feeling like a completely socially isolated person!
3. I am thankful that there is a delicious lindt chocolate waiting for me at home after yoga. I love chocolate!
I’m so sorry you are feeling less than awesome 🙁 But I am so glad that you still posted Thankful Things Thursday! Fav post of the week.
Today I am thankful for the 9 hours of sleep I got last night, the intern that will do grunt work for me, and my upcoming roadtrip to Wisconsin. Hooray!
I look forward to these Thursday posts! They remind me to stay positive and be thankful every week. I’m sharing this post on my blog, check it out! 🙂
Aw, I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling under the weather! Hopefully your rest day yesterday helped, and I’m loving your positive attitude on Thankful Thursdays regardless..
I am thankful that this is my last full week of marathon training and the taper is just around the corner! And excited for a trip out to San Francisco this weekend. And to soon receive my I<3 Sweat shirt 🙂
this blog is the best 😀 love when I visit. congrats on your award/nomination. Feel better soon. I was sick last week and it sucked. I love that you have halloween pj’s 😀
yayyy, for thankful thursdays….
Today, I’m thankful that I got ten hours of sleep last night, that I’m going home to run the Detroit Half Marathon this weekend, and that said trip and half marathon serve as a perfect excuse for why I will not be checking my blackberry this weekend!
Feel better soon!
Is it completely weird that I just wrote your last name in cursive to see how it was to write the loopy part? Yes? Ok, ignore this comment.
So sorry that you are still not feeling well! I’m sending you good vibes!
Three things I’m thankful for:
1) Running again after 3 months
2) Not seriously hurting my (other) ankle during my run today when I tripped and almost face planted on the sidewalk- because Lord knows I don’t need ANOTHER injury!
3) It’s my blog’s 1 year birthday today!!! 🙂
I’m thankful for:
1. It being 2 days until the Baltimore Half!!!!
2. Having a cheering squad at said event in 2 days!
3. My puppy…even though he’s a little crazy he’s still a heart breaker 🙂
I’m glad you got a restful day in, at least! I hope you’re feeling at least a little better today. And can I just say, your doctor is WHACK. Why is it so hard to fund a good one?? (also, I have an amazing GI doc. i can’t believe I didn’t think of this until now. I’m emailing you).
I am thankful to be running pain-free and loving each mile! Also thankful that I am in a good mood today, and that tomorrow is Friday. And that I cleaned my desk at work so it is no longer such a sty.
Three things I’m thankful for:
1) Dunkin’ Donuts coffee to get me through the day – extra points for cinnamon!
2) My notebook full of lists to keep me sane.
3) Tonight’s episodes of Grey’s & Private Practice (also known as guilty pleasures).
I have the “elle” in Shelley as well and have always loved writing it in cursive, it’s fun to me. yes I am a nerd and that’s ok.
You are so strong and have the best attitude. I am so impressed time and again. Just voted. Keep reminding me. Feel better!
I am thankful I could run yesterday. Even if it was painful. Because after my marathon on Sunday I could barely walk. I am thankful today will be a rest day.
I’m thankful for wonderful friends, my health, a new job, and that my bf is safe and able to email me from overseas. 🙂 Oh, and peanut butter.
I’m thankful today for the following:
– Tonight my favorite shows are on TV! Thank god for the NBC Thurs. night line-up and Always Sunny in Philadelphia. And for Netflix DVDs of Modern Family- I’m on Season 1 and love it, too!
– I’m getting my hair trimmed/shaped tomorrow- my hair is flipping out (literally and figuratively).
– Chipotle, where I will be eating my lunch today (since I was too lazy to make lunch at home) 🙂
I’m thankful for:
1. Going to the ballet tonight! Running kind of kicked dancing out of my schedule so I’m excited to have a night where I can pretend I’m back in it. (I may or may not put my pointe shoes on when I get home)
2. My new bike! I’ve been planning on the purchase for a while. Haven’t ridden since I was 12. Going for my first ride on Sunday.
3. My monthly deadline at work is over. I can breathe now. I still have work to do, but no deadline 🙂
BLERG! I hope you feel better STAT and get to keep looking at photos of puppies all day 😉
3 things I’m thankful for:
1. Studying one of my favorite things in the world…even if it means that I’ve been in the library since 5 pm yesterday
2. Beautiful weather! I live in Buffalo, so any temperate October day is a miracle.
3. Being healthy. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer last March and am now in remission. I never knew what a blessing it was to be healthy until I felt like it was slipping away from me. Now, I know and appreciate it so much.
Your blog makes me smile every day. Even while I’m sitting here in a cave-like cubicle dreading the next several hours of work…
1. I’m running my first marathon back home in michigan this weekend! (scared shitless, but also PUMPED)
2. I see my “I <3 sweat" shirt in that picture up there. Can't wait to start obsessively checking my mailbox 🙂
3. I "forgot" my coat at home when I packed for the weekend so I HAVE to leave work a half hour early to get it. So I can still make my flight. Darn…
I’m cranky and whiney today – actually all week! But I am SUPER pumped for my marathon on Sunday, a possible new job and the leaves changing!!
p.s. I have IBS and corn is a nooooooooo way, haha…. its hard to tell people why you avoid certain foods.
have an awesome weekend of relaxing 🙂
I am thankful for bagels.
I am thankful for cream cheese with olives.
I am thankful I’m running Nike Women’ sMarathon on Sunday!!
Dear Ali, thank you for posting the pic of millions of sleeping Pancake puppies.
He says ‘your welcome’ for being so good looking,
1. I am thankful yuo inspired me to run a marathon.
2. I am thankful my bf and I leave for Las Vegas / The Grand Canyon next weekend!
Love Thursdays posts. It’s nice to think about what you still love even when you hate the world for awhile! = P
Today I’m thankful for
1. My dog always being there
2. Breaking Bad for being so f-ing awesome.
3. Tea for keeping me functional when I’m stressed.
Have you tried a gluten-free diet? (Sucks, I know!) Two of my close friends have been gluten-free for about a year now (one has Crohn’s and one has Colitis) and they’re both doing SO much better without gluten. Neither of them have had a flare up since they made the switch. It’s hard to give up pizza, soft pretzels, bread, etc. but there’s so many substitutions out there now days.
I haven’t tried a gluten-free diet, but starting on Monday I am going to refine my diet quite a bit and plan to eliminate a lot of processed foods and all that jazz. Thank you for the suggestion!
I voted again! I will vote once I get home on my personal computer too 🙂 Running is a sport!
1. I’m thankful that I get to run 5 miles tonight, not so thankful that it will be Garminless since my husband dropped ours and it is currently being shipped to be replaced.
2. That said, I am thankful that the Garmin was still under warranty so we only had to pay $20 for its replacement.
3. I’m thankful that you do this type of post too. I do a “Seven Things Tuesday” post and it makes me happy to write it every week.
I am thankful that I am able to run tonight (after being sick the whole last week)
And of course
I am thankful for my lovely boyfriend who is cooking for me all the time!
Feel better soon (I know how bad stomach pain can be)!
All the Best to you from Vienna, Austria
Hello! I just stumbled across your blog a couple of weeks ago, but I think this is the perfect chance to get in and start commenting on your wonderful posts!
1) I’m so thankful to have found your blog, Ali. I’ve had digestive issues since i was a little girl much like you..hospitalized several times because things just weren’t functioning right on their own. My long-time partners are IBS and acid reflux, and at 24 I’m just starting to figure out what keeps my body in a healthy balance (and keeps me from making excuses mid-conversation so I can shuffle to the ladies room, ha). I’m training to do a 15k in Jan and then a half in april..I love running (and my inner competitor loves the goals), but sometimes it’s hard when a 6-mile run means I then have stomach cramps for the next 10 hours. Your blog is a constant reminder that I AM strong enough to do this..and my stomach can just shut-up and take it 😛 Seriously, you’re an inspiration and your blog keeps me moving!
2) I’m thankful for my super cute aunt who still sends me cards with kitties on them just as a pick me-up
3) I’m thankful for my comfortable Nike capris..they make running so much easier. Now if I could just wear them all the time…
Hope you start to feel better!
Things I’m thankful for this Thursday:
1) A whole french press of coffee, JUST FOR ME. (Home Alone quote adaptation, obviously.)
2) It’s rainy and gloomy outside, which is perfect since I don’t feel guilty for staying inside and writing cover letters/watching TV all day.
3) My brand new mattress, sheets, and duvet cover. Clean sleeping > clean eating.
Neti pots, while totally disgusting, are very useful and refreshing when berating is impossible.
I am thankful that my dad is being a hero and driving my garmin charger to my work today since I left it at my parents house. Go dad.
I’m thankful for:
1) Thursday night TV 🙂
2) The spin instructor last night who got me through my first class in almost a year (thanks, Brad!)
2) Knowing my sweat shirt is en route!
I’m cranky because its rainy and still dark when I wake up at 6:45… HOWEVER here are 3 happy things:
1) I snagged a seat on the L this morning. Score.
2) I just discovered Dunkin’ Donuts has pumpkin coffee.
3) I’m going to treadmill class at lunch – hooray for lunch time speed and hill work!
I’m thankful for:
1) a rest day tomorrow, after running five days in a row
2) my Halloween costume ( I am going to be a red M&M)
3) chocolate milk
I hope you feel better soon!! You really are amazing…I love your attitude about life in general 🙂
I have one of the sweat shirts that I ordered in a small that is too short 🙁 I would be happy to mail it to someone (I would pay for shipping) if anyone is interested. I actually live in Florida but called the Jack Rabbit store and ordered it that way. I payed 35, but would sell it for 20…any takers please let me know. Fightingillini@cox.net
1) SO thankful my Sweat shirt is on its way!
2) Thankful to be tapering (2 wks til Marine Corps!)
3) Thankful for your blog!
“It’s really loopy because it has “elle” in the middle of it. It makes signing my name pretty simple.” – Same with ela in Manela. Love it! Although I can’t wait to get married and have a new name. I think your relaxing weekend away will definitely help. Love those puppies, so sweet!
I am thankful for….
A job that requires me to play on Facebook all day long.
The NYC Marathon.
It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia having new episodes every Thursday.
The old 90210.
My expensive fancy Hilton pillow.
Family and Friends Sales.
THINGS I’M PUMPED ABOUT TODAY:
1) day off of running – I love being lazy sometimes
2) watching 2 episodes of Rachel Zoe (I’m too episodes behind)
3) continuing to decorate for Halloween — although I’ll need to buy more Halloween decor, but that’s a necessary luxury right?
I’m going to be Jan this year for Halloween. Do you want to be a bottle of Remicade?
1) I’m thankful our villa for the weekend has 3 bathrooms
2) I’m thankful that Brian is capable of getting sick (proving he IS human afterall). sorry brian
3) I’m thankful that tonight is the 18th Annual Single Malt & Scotch Whiskey Extravaganza at the Taj (a paid holiday at DS Feller Company)!
You always bring such positivity up in here – even when you are feeling so sick! I heart you even more for it!
I’m thankful it’s work-from-home Thursday, it’s raining, I’m in my comfies and I got a killer dreadmill run in this morning. Oh – and I’m thankful for iced coffee. 🙂
Blah. I’m having the same kind of day. But I’ll try.
1. I’m thankful that I had a nice night out with friends last night.
2. I’m thankful that I was able to do 30 minutes on the elliptical yesterday.
3. I’m thankful that I have two sweat shirts… even though I want a damn pink one! 🙂
I’m thankful for you.
I’m thankful my shirt is coming!! (And so is Jon’s surprise shirt! Hooray!)
I’m thankful for rain. (Seriously. I love it.)
And lots of other things but you asked for three. 😉
Are you sure you can only vote once per day per computer? Because it allows me to “Return to Poll” and vote again…
And in honor of Thankful Thursday…I am thankful my sister called me at 7:30 this morning, otherwise I would have still been sleeping and would have missed/been late for work!
I’m thankful that I had a Kashi bar in my bag because I forgot to grab one and that’s my breakfast!
I’m thankful the guy with the overwhelming and pervasive cologne in my subway car seems to have exited (can’t smell him now).
I’m thankful you can find the silver lining in the cloud.
I see my shirt! I can’t wait to get it and sweat!
I hope you feel better soon, Ali! I tweeted you the cutest pug puppy pic. I hope it makes you smile! And you save it as your desktop photo.
It’s nice to read this post because I certainly woke up feel cranky!
Three things I’m thankful for this Thursday:
1) No injuries.
2) My mom for being the best mom ever and texting me crazy mom-texts.
3) Mini post-it notes.
I am cranky and whiny today but I’m thankful for my speed work this morning, that it is (almost) Friday, and I’m getting a deep tissue massage tonight. Eek, I hope I don’t cry in pain!