I’m running on not enough sleep today due to a late-night work event. I attended a gala at New York University’s Skirball Center, which I had never been to. The venue was gorgeous, and I love anything that brings me to the Washington Square Park area since I get down there so rarely.
The views from the ballroom were stunning. I stood at the floor-to-ceiling windows with my coworkers and obsessed over my love for New York City. Some days the city kicks my butt, but most days I feel so lucky to live here.
Unfortunately I didn’t get home until close to 12, giving me less than the desired amount of sleep I was hoping for.
But that’s OK, because I have a half day today! I’ll be leaving the office in the early afternoon to run errands and get things done so that I can leave for D.C. Friday morning feeling stress-free.
In other news, it’s snow/raining in the city today. Gross.
I won’t go on about that, because it doesn’t make me cheerful.
Let’s get down to business…
On Sunday night, I wrote about my plans for the taper week leading up to Saturday’s half marathon. Since we’re mid-way through the week, I figured I’d check in on myself to see how well I’m tapering:
- Carbo loading — starting now. Check! I’ve been pretty much eating whatever I want. Yes, that has included more than a few handfuls of Cadbury Mini Eggs (thanks, Mom!), but I’ve also been downing lots of vegetables and plan on eating some hefty pasta meals within the next few days.
- Staying hydrated. Check! This one is easy because I love water and drink it all day long even when I’m not in race day mode.
- Not drinking alcohol. Check! While everyone was sucking down red wine at dinner last night, I stuck with H2O. My boss was surprised. Good to know I have a reputation around here…
- Getting rest. Not quite check. I was doing well at the beginning of the week, but last night I only got about 5 quality hours of sleep.
- Making lists. Duh, check! I have my packing list made, my playlist made, my travel folder made and my grocery list ready to go.
- Foam rolling. Check! I have been foam rolling every morning and night — well, with the exception of last night…and this morning.
- Picking a race day outfit. No check — yet. This is on my list of things to do today. The weather said rain for Saturday at one point, now it just says cloudy. I’m thinking capris and a light long-sleeved shirt. Stay tuned.
- Wearing flats. Semi-check. I couldn’t wear flats to the event last night, come on now! However, I’m wearing flats today and will do my best to stick to this one for the rest of the week.
Overally it looks like I’m handling the week OK! I’m getting plenty (if not too much) fuel and taking care of my body, though I could stand to get more sleep.
Off to tackle the short work day then be as productive as possible. Have a great day!
TELL ME: What are your Taper Week tips and tricks? Do you like tapering off your mileage and getting your body rested for the race, or do you get antsy? Usually I hate tapering because I love running every day, but because I also happen to be super busy this week, it’s working out in my favor.
Hope to see/meet you this weekend Ali! I’m not running, but I’ll be there to spectate and I’m going to the Saturday meet-up 🙂
My list looks a lot like yours! I’ve been wearing flats at work all week and sneakers everywhere else. Aaaand I may have just munched on a hunk of baguette right before bed. Good luck with the national half this weekend!! I’ll be there too!
It sounds like you’re handling the taper well…much better than I am! I am focusing on the outfit. I must try to fit all of my options into one small suitcase. No easy feat!
Good job on no red wine! Also, in regards to the snow, it was 83 down here today in NC 🙂 I think you sound like you’re doing a great job on the race week plans, keep it up and you’ll do great!
I’ve been reading for awhile – found you through fitchickinthecity, but just wanted to send my best wishes for your race this weekend! I was supposed to be running the full, but am also doing the half after a recent injury. I am headed down on Vamoose Bus on Friday as well, safe travels and good luck!
loving the outfit!
this carboloading sounds so fun! don’t forget to get some rest!
I’m an antsy girl during taper week. It’s advisable to steer clear of me. I actually like drinking during taper because it calms me. Clearly I’m not doing keg stands every night after work, but a glass of red wine to kick back with is definitely a taper tradition for me.
I have NO idea what to wear on Saturday. The weather keeps changing. I’ll probably decide at 4am on Saturday what I’m going to show up in. And then change my mind 12 times.
I have not had a taper experience yet…looking forward to it though.
I wish I could make it into DC this weekend to cheer you on!! I am only about 30 min from DC but have major kid plans for the weekend:(
I love love how you put so much detial into planning before a race.. I thought I was the only crazy person who did this 🙂
My boyfriend is a resident at NYU so I get to attend a lot of events at the different venues and they are all so beautiful!
I like tapering before a big race… it makes me feel so rested. I also get worried about last minute knee-pain before a race, so if I am not running I don’t have to deal with it.