What a day!
It kicked off with a great morning run that included a crazy chihuahua lady sighting, then the day was filled with sunshine, productivity at work and lots of nice blog comments (you people are too kind, and your feedback about the Gridiron race was heartwarming). You also all seemed to enjoy my jazz hand photo. I’m so glad. I will always share my jazz handiness with you.
After work, I went here:
The Conde Nast building, located in the heart of Times Square, is a publishing Mecca. It houses Vogue, Glamour, Bon Appetit, Allure, GQ, Details, The New Yorker and many more.
Conde Nast also publishes SELF — my favorite magazine, and the reason I was in the building tonight.
A few weeks ago, I saw on SELF‘s website that they were in search of food tasters for their annual healthy food awards. Uhhhh sign me up!
I can’t divulge too much — though I can tell you Ashley and I munched on some yummy snacks, and I tried cottage cheese for the first time — but look for the results of the awards in the June 2011 issue of SELF.
Then the best part of my day: I came home to an email from Jack Rabbit Sports.
Remember a few weeks ago when I posted about entering the Run for the Rabbit competition? Turns out, they saw something they liked in my application. I have a callback and screen test on Friday at the Union Square store!
I’m not getting my hopes up too high. They had more than 325 applicants for just six spots! So I’m happy my application stood out at all.
Now comes the hard part: What the heck do I wear?! Obviously I’ll be posting outfit options later this week after I’ve pondered my choices.
SOUND OFF: Any TV people/gurus out there? I’m a print media girl, so I need advice from the broadcast-y people. Got advice on what I should wear? Teddy, I’m talking to you here. Keep in mind, I’ll be going to my screen test during my lunch break at work, so I won’t be showing up in yoga pants or workout wear (which they said is fine).
So pumped for you! Okay, so – things to remember while on camera:
– The biggest rule in television is: If you feel stupid, then you’re doing it right. Super-size your facial movements when you’re talking. Look MORE surprised. Smile BIGGER. The camera doesn’t judge or think you’re a tool.
– Be yourself. They called YOU back for a reason.
– Stand up tall. The camera can make you look hunched over even when you think you’re not. Over-emphasize your posture.
– Lower your voice. This is kinda weird, but you’d be surprised how high your every day voice sounds on screen. A lower voice sounds more professional.
– Don’t wear “bling-tastic” jewelery around your neck or face, or jewelery that will make noise or clank together. It’s distracting to the viewer and a pain for the audio crew. Go for the classy pearl necklace (get your mind out of the gutter), simple stud earrings, and minimal hand jewelery.
– Tame your boobage, but you knew that already.
– Try to refrain from using “Um” or “So…” or “Like.” Those are fine in everyday conversation, but when you’re trying to inform someone of something on camera, those words can be distracting and make you sound like you don’t know what you’re talking about. If you feel like you need to use one of those “in-between” words, just take a breath, catch your thoughts, and keep going.
– Nervous laughter is no bueno.
– No sexual favors. Mwa ha ha ha ha.
KICK ASS! LOVE YOU!
Sooo exciting! I can’t wait to hear more about it! I think you should wear something that makes you feel comfortable and confident. When you feel good about yourself, the camera will notice 😉
Congrats on getting a callback! I got an e-mail from Jack Rabbit too! I’m super excited. I’ll be going Friday during my (late) lunch break as well. Not sure what I’m wearing yet but I do know jewel tones tend to look best on camera. 🙂
that taste testing thing sounds sooo neat 🙂
you girls are awesome! gluck with that gig girly! You are PERFECT for it
I am soooo pumped for you! We will be checking out choice outfits after our Wednesday night dinner date.
YAY! I’m so excited for you! Honestly, I’d wear something similar to last Friday’s outfit with a few fun pieces of color or jewelry to pop. Wear something comfortable that won’t make you self conscious like tonight’s dress!