I love making New Year’s Resolutions.
Growing up, I always made lofty, unmeasurable goals for myself. I wanted to lose weight, eat healthy, etc.
But last year I learned that in order to make a resolution effective, you need to make it something tangible.
At least that’s what works for me.
In 2010, I resolved to take a yoga class.
My other resolutions included drinking more water (definitely achieved that one) and “being nicer to strangers on public transportation” (still kind of working on that one, but I’m much calmer than I used to be). I like having my New Year’s Resolution plan be more of a checklist.
So, after some thoughtful planning, I present to you…
Ali’s 2011 Resolutions:
- Take a tap class: This is my sole remaining resolution from 2010. I’m sad I never mustered up the courage to take a class last year, so I will do it this year. Promise.
- Try out Yoga to the People: I keep saying I want to take more yoga classes, and YTTP is a wonderful resource in NYC. It’s a pay-as-you-wish studio and I really think I should try it.
- Take a SoulCycle and/or Flywheel class: I’m sort of fascinated by both these spinning studios and want to try them out (especially since SoulCycle is just blocks from my apartment).
- Run a sub 2-hour 1/2 marathon: Last year I ran the NYC 1/2 Marathon in 2 hours, 3 minutes. So close! I’m confident that this year I can shave 4 seconds off my time to be in that elusive sub-2 hour club.
- Don’t nag ABS about apartment things: I’m so OCD and he’s so lax. Now that we’re roommates, I know that I need to find a middle ground between what I deem to be clean and what he thinks is acceptable. (This might prove to be the toughest resolution I make!)
- Travel somewhere new: It doesn’t have to be Europe and it doesn’t have to be a full-on vacation. I just want to check out a new city. Chicago, San Francisco and San Antonio are all on my list.
- See Becky: She’s my best friend and she lives in Charlotte, NC. Somehow I will make sure we see each other this year.
- Read three books: I’ve been getting behind in my magazine reading and completely neglecting picking up any books. I don’t care if I read three cheesy chick-lit novels. I just want to read three books. Let me know if you have any recommendations!
- Hit a “certain number” in my savings account: Of course I’m not going to disclose what that number is, but I have an amount in my head that I’d really like to get to this year.
- Complete a marathon! This is the year’s “big goal.” I definitely want to go for it this year — I’m in the lottery for the NYC Marathon and am also contemplating the Chicago Marathon — but there’s always the chance of injury or not even getting into a marathon. Still, I do see 26.2 miles in my future.
Alright 2011, let’s do this!
TELL ME: Do you make New Year’s Resolutions? If so, what are yours for 2011?