I love making New Year’s Resolutions.
Growing up, I always made lofty, unmeasurable goals for myself. I wanted to lose weight, eat healthy, etc.
But last year I learned that in order to make a resolution effective, you need to make it something tangible.
At least that’s what works for me.
In 2010, I resolved to take a yoga class.
My other resolutions included drinking more water (definitely achieved that one) and “being nicer to strangers on public transportation” (still kind of working on that one, but I’m much calmer than I used to be). I like having my New Year’s Resolution plan be more of a checklist.
So, after some thoughtful planning, I present to you…
Ali’s 2011 Resolutions:
- Take a tap class: This is my sole remaining resolution from 2010. I’m sad I never mustered up the courage to take a class last year, so I will do it this year. Promise.
- Try out Yoga to the People: I keep saying I want to take more yoga classes, and YTTP is a wonderful resource in NYC. It’s a pay-as-you-wish studio and I really think I should try it.
- Take a SoulCycle and/or Flywheel class: I’m sort of fascinated by both these spinning studios and want to try them out (especially since SoulCycle is just blocks from my apartment).
- Run a sub 2-hour 1/2 marathon: Last year I ran the NYC 1/2 Marathon in 2 hours, 3 minutes. So close! I’m confident that this year I can shave 4 seconds off my time to be in that elusive sub-2 hour club.
- Don’t nag ABS about apartment things: I’m so OCD and he’s so lax. Now that we’re roommates, I know that I need to find a middle ground between what I deem to be clean and what he thinks is acceptable. (This might prove to be the toughest resolution I make!)
- Travel somewhere new: It doesn’t have to be Europe and it doesn’t have to be a full-on vacation. I just want to check out a new city. Chicago, San Francisco and San Antonio are all on my list.
- See Becky: She’s my best friend and she lives in Charlotte, NC. Somehow I will make sure we see each other this year.
- Read three books: I’ve been getting behind in my magazine reading and completely neglecting picking up any books. I don’t care if I read three cheesy chick-lit novels. I just want to read three books. Let me know if you have any recommendations!
- Hit a “certain number” in my savings account: Of course I’m not going to disclose what that number is, but I have an amount in my head that I’d really like to get to this year.
- Complete a marathon! This is the year’s “big goal.” I definitely want to go for it this year — I’m in the lottery for the NYC Marathon and am also contemplating the Chicago Marathon — but there’s always the chance of injury or not even getting into a marathon. Still, I do see 26.2 miles in my future.
Alright 2011, let’s do this!
TELL ME: Do you make New Year’s Resolutions? If so, what are yours for 2011?
1. omg i need to not nag!!! i am the SAME WAY/he is the SAME WAY…
2. i have a free soul cycle class i got in the mail and the first class is always free (mine is for union square) let me know if you want to go in January!
3. love the resolutions 🙂
YES, let’s do SoulCycle together! I’ll trek down to Union Square. Let’s get serious about this. I like it.
Tap?! Love that, how unique. I use to tap, ballet…and clog, haa.
Tangible and manageable! You’ll do great! Happy New Year!
Awesome goals!! You can run sub 2 for sure!! I ran my first sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon this year and I think the thing that made the biggest difference was that this time during training I did yoga at least 2x’s a week. I always get injured during training or have IT band issues, but this time I was pain free and crushed my previous time by 16 minutes!
My 2 big goals for 2011 are to complete 4, 1/2 marathons, and to grow my little blog! 🙂
Have you read “Water for Elephants?” Probably my favorite book of all time… easy to read, wonderful story. Also, I adore anything by Bill Bryson… he does all travel writing so it’s sort of like traveling yourself, and all his books are laugh-out-loud funny. Try these: “I’m a Stranger Here Myself” (seriously the funniest book I’ve ever read), “A Walk in the Woods” (should be required reading if you’re from NH!), “Neither Here Nor There” (about different cities in Europe… this one really makes you feel like you’re traveling!), or “In a Sunburned Country” (about Australia so you’d probably enjoy it!).
Maybe we’ll run the NYC marathon together! I also put my name in the lottery as an attempt to coax me in doing a marathon this year!! Great resolutions 🙂
You will LOVE the tap class! I had to take one last semester for my degree and it was so much fun. It was my first class of the day on Tuesdays and Thursdays so it was a great way to start the day! 🙂
Love your resolutions!!!
I have a lot of fitness related ones with a lot of running. And 2011 will be the year of the marathon! 😉
Those are great resolutions! I love how you are brave enough to try out so many classes. I am pretty outgoing but I am usually petrified by the idea of group classes. Tap class sounds soo much fun!
Don’t be petrified of group classes! Stand in the back at first, and slowly ease yourself into it.
#1 I WILL so take a tap class with yoU!! I use to dance all the time and I think it would be so much fun to take a class again!
#2 I will also do Yoga to the People with you as I have been wanting to for so long and I am scared to go alone!
Great resolutions for the new year! Judging by your runs, you will crush your 1/2 marathon goal this year!
I have lots of goals and I’m sure they will change throughout the year. I made a resolution to get healthy (along with the rest of the world) in 2009. I’m still sticking to that one!