Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I love that it brings people together through a common thought: What are we all thankful for this year?
But it makes me sad that Thanksgiving is acknowledged for just one day each year—then the attention quickly turns to Black Friday sales, shopping stress and the hustle and bustle of the remaining holidays. Hanukkah and Kwanzaa and Christmas, oh my!
Obviously I’ll be doing a “What I’m Thankful For This Year” post on Thanksgiving Day, but I propose that we all take time every day to think about what we’re thankful for. It doesn’t have to be toast-worthy or earth-shattering.
Today, I’m thankful for big things and small things. I’ll kick off Thanksgiving week with a list of Today’s 10 Things I’m Thankful For:
- I am oh-so-thankful that the bathrooms at the Central Park Boathouse were open when I kind of desperately needed them this morning. That almost never happens.
- I’m thankful that the story a writer was three weeks late in submitting to me finally showed up in my email today—and it was good. Yeah, I’m mad that it was so late, and I’m not too happy with said writer. But the story has a Valentine’s Day theme to it, and I smiled the whole time I read it. Also, I got it over to the fact checking department just in time to make my own deadline. Score!
- I’m thankful that there is a Chipotle within three blocks of my office. Bowl-to-go with rice, chicken, tomato salsa and corn? Don’t mind if I do. Three times a week…
- I’m thankful for the chocolate macaroon cookies from Whole Foods.
- I’m thankful to have discovered—and become a part of—the healthy living blog community. I’ve met some kickass, motivated young women and can’t wait to expand that circle.
- I’m thankful that I get a corporate discount at my gym so that I can actually (barely) afford to take great classes. Tonight’s Chisel class included lotsa squats and a good booty workout at the end.
- I’m thankful for pad thai. Good the first time, and just as good microwaved. I survive on leftovers.
- I’m thankful to have a sweet boyfriend who witnessed me fall down the stairs of our apartment last night—seriously, I totally bit it and have the bruises to prove it—and made sure I was OK before he started laughing at me. Admittedly, it was probably pretty funny to witness.
- I’m thankful to live with that boyfriend in an apartment that I’m loving more and more every day.
- I’m thankful that my family isn’t too far away, and that I get to see my immediate and extended relatives this week!
START SHARING: Don’t wait until Thursday—take time all week (and beyond) to think about the big and little things you’re thankful for. Then tell me about them!